Announcing the Winners of the Sweet Potato Challenge!
This year, Gateway Greening hosted a Sweet Potato Challenge. At the end of the 2015-2016 school year, they released the guidelines for local area school districts to join the challenge. Sweet potatoes are a low maintenance produce that can survive with minimal attention during the summer, so while they do require some attention, the potatoes were able to be used during the fall for the competition.
“Participating gardeners need to take photos of the ‘before’ while you are planting, maintain during the summer, and in October, bring your kids out to harvest all those sweet potatoes. Weigh them, submit ‘after’ photos and the information to be in the running” (taken from Gateway Greening’s website).
This year’s winners are listed below:
- Largest Harvest: Shaw VPA
- Largest Sweet Potato: Cabrini Academy
- Weirdest Potato: Mullanphy ILC Elementary
- Most Enthusiastic Harvest: South City Community School
- Best Sweet Potato Preparation: MRH Elementary
- Best Sweet Potato Spirit: Meramec Heights Elementary
- Best Sweet Potato Treasure Hunt: MRH Early Childhood Center
- Most Persistent Harvesters: Flynn Park Elementary
- Best Sweet Potato Habitat: Old Bonhomme Elementary
- Most Sweet Potato Knowledge: Mallinckrodt Academy
- Coolest Potato Harvested: Sun Patch Garden (Adams Elementary)
For more information, contact MRH School District at (314) 644-4400.