Elementary School News
Nine Additional MRH Teachers Become National Board Certified
The Maplewood Richmond Heights School District is proud to announce that nine MRH teachers have recently earned National Board Certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS). Certification is one of the highest honors that any teacher can receive. MRH now has a total of 20 faculty members who have obtained this prestigious honor.
Less than 4% of all teachers in the United States have achieved National Board Certification. MRH greatly exceeds this national average now with 22% of its teaching faculty certified. Research shows that Board Certified teachers have a significant impact on student achievement, and that their students outperform their peers in other classrooms. Board Certified Teachers have demonstrated that they have met the profession’s highest standards for accomplished practice through a rigorous, performance-based, peer-review process.
“MRH has always been committed to attracting and retaining the very best teachers for our students and community,” said MRH Superintendent Karen I. Hall. “While we’ve always known we have one of the best staffs, this national recognition for so many of our teachers shows our region, the state, and the entire county, that in fact, we truly do!”
MRH teachers receiving National Board Certification in 2013:
- Gage Dodson (Elem, 4th/5th Grade Looping Teacher)
- Justin Harcharic (HS, Counselor)
- Bill Henske (MS, 7th Grade Science)
- Christine Henske (HS, Social Studies)
- Janine Lillard (Elem, 2nd/3rd Grade Looping Teacher)
- Ann McLaughlin (ECC, 1st Grade Teacher)
- Scott McClintock (MS, 8th Grade Science)
- Courtney Mueller (Elem, 2nd/3rd Grade Looping Teacher)
- Julie Sullivan (Elem, 2nd/3rd Grade Looping Teacher)
Existing MRH teachers with National Board Certification:
- Heather Bailey (ECC, Kindergarten)
- Cheryl Carmon (HS, Mathematics)
- Mary Darst (Elem, Counselor)
- Gwen Donnell (HS, Counselor)
- Kathleen Dwyer (HS, Science/Chemistry)
- Jamie Kelley (MS/HS, Assessment Coordinator/Instructional Support)
- Daniel Lyons (Elem, Gifted Teacher/Museum Director)
- Peggy O’Neal (Elem, Math Teaching and Learning Specialist)
- Derek Rowley (HS, English)
- Abby Smith (Elem, Mentor/Interventionist)
- Rachel Ward (HS, Mathematics)
National Board Certification is a yearlong process in which teachers submit portfolios that include student work, assignments, videos, and a thorough analysis of classroom teaching. Additionally, National Board candidates take six assessments on their knowledge in their subject area.
“I am so incredibly proud of our teachers’ accomplishments,” added Hall. “The dedication and commitment they give our students each and every day is truly awe-inspiring. I hope the entire community joins me in congratulating them.”
For more information, contact MRH School District at (314) 644-4400.