MRH Elementary Students to Vote in Mark Twain Award Program
MRH Elementary is participating in the Mark Twain Readers Award Program vote. Mark Twain books are chosen by the Missouri Association of School Librarians for their literary value, and potential to enrich children's' lives. Missouri schoolchildren in grades 4-8 vote for their favorite book from a list of nominated titles. The Mark Twain Award is then given to the author of the top voted book.
Some of the nominee books will be available for purchase at the MRH Elementary Scholastic book fair November 4-8, and all of the titles will be available for check-out in the MRHE Library after November 11. Click here if you would like to sign up to volunteer in the MRHE Library or at this years book fair.
Students who read four of the ten titles by April 1, 2014 will earn a certificate of participation and vote for the book that they feel should receive the #1 Mark Twain Book Award. These students will also receive one of the Mark Twain nominee titles and be invited to a celebration during a school day in May.
2013-14 Mark Twain Award Final Nominees
- Close to Famous, by Joan Bauer. Viking Juvenile.
- Missing on Superstition Mountain, by Elise Broach. Henry Holt and Co.
- Will at the Battle of Gettysburg, by Laurie Calkhoven. Dutton Juvenile.
- Barn Boot Blues, by Catherine Friend. Amazon Children's Publishing.
- Hidden, by Helen Frost. Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.
- The Underdogs, by Mike Lupica. Philomel.
- 13 Gifts, by Wendy Mass. Scholastic Press.
- In Front of God and Everybody, by K.D. McCrite. Thomas Nelson.
- The Unwanteds, by Lisa McMann. Aladdin.
- Sparrow Road, by Sheila O'Connor. Putnam Juvenile.
- Wonderstruck, by Brian Selznick. Scholastic Press.
- Pie, by Sarah Weeks. Scholastic Press.
For more information, contact MRH School District at (314) 644-4400.